Friday, March 31, 2006

Frankfurt!

I'm getting more and more excited as the date for my internship draws near. First off, let me show you guys a preview of Frankfurt from the air.



The IE office is located at Goethestrasse, apparently the centre of the the financial district of Frankfurt. Looking up Frankfurt, I only just realised that Deutsche Bank HQ is located there, and so is the European Central Bank. Wow. To quote Wikipedia,
Frankfurt am Main (help·info) [ˈfraŋkfʊrt] is the largest city in the German state of Hesse and the fifth-largest city in Germany. Situated on the Main river, it is the seat of the European Central Bank, the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and is the largest financial centre in Germany and continental Europe. Frankfurt is also one of the richest cities in the European Union.

from Wikipedia

And so now my journey finally begins. I must learn Cantonese (so as to talk to Frau Li regarding my housing in Frankfurt), and I must learn German, which at the moment, isn't going too well, because I already forgot what I learnt this morning. Ich versuche zu studieren Deutsch. (i probably got the verb studieren wrong). Perhaps lernen is a better verb.

German is becoming a language that I HAVE,MUST and WILL pick up. After all, it is going to be an uphill battle all the way. I feel that with Econ 20000 and German, I already have my hands full for the quarter. In fact, I'm not even sure if I can maintain stellar results for this quarter. After all, scholarship agencies don't look at the courses you take, but rather at your GPA. The sad fact about scholars is that they are unable to take courses they like which are insanely difficult, and which prove to be provide the best returns for their future for the short term benefit that is a high GPA. If I was given a chance to repeat my first two quarters here, I would probably have taken Math 16100, then Analysis, and probably Stat 244. It all depends now. I have a lot of decisions to make, about Masters (high GPA), about cost etc. Oh well...

Sometimes, I wish my family had the resources to send me overseas. I guess, living the high life is always a wish everyone has, that is why we run the rat race anyway. But here, I start to appreciate my role in life, as the eldest, as a son, as a grandson, as a friend. After all, your life is not measured ultimately by the number of As you garnered, or the number of trophies you win. It is measured by how many lives you have touched.

Oh well, enough musing for the day. Ich bin ein Studenten an der Universität von Chicago. Ok. Checked, I got studieren: to go to college/university wrong in the preceding paragraph. Oh well...



I wish you said this.



lip
ranting

No comments: