Monday, January 17, 2005

how frail is human life?

where the hundreds of thousands die in a single stroke of nature? where death, disease and sickness takes away those we love, and those we never had a chance to say that we love?

i am so lucky. my mum was in new york on september 11th. she climbed the world trade centre just a week before it was brought down. we are so lucky. to be living in singapore, to be the centre of a shipping line, to be a city state, united in our diversity, yet living in a troubled region.

how lucky am i, to be able to live.

i have a friend. he lost someone very dear to him. and she lied to keep him from knowing the truth about illness, about suffering about death. how many of us will do that for someone we love? how many of us will lie to save us the devastation we could cause someone we care about? and when you slip away into your dream forever, how many of us could be so irresponsible? thinking that a lie in life could fade away in death, only to cause more devastion and grief to those we love...

if you have not shown your love, do it today. live life as though every day is your last.

my friends, i love you all. thanks for being there for me. for being my guidance and my support, for being my joy and my company. to clarence, jesse, alex, jianrong, zhenliang, hongyan, wendy, weng, maria, chan lek, joses, jeff, jenny, jo. thanks for being part of my life for my 2 years in jc

to yaoquan, yaoyu, mingyan, zihui, jianfeng, shuyi, serene, my primary school friends. thanks for being part of my formative years. humans are such frail creatures. and we pass by so many relationships, some more serious than others, others having much more bearing on our life later.

thanks to my piano friends, rodney, diane, jianhong, weizhen, florrine, mingjing, and many others i may have remembered the face, but not the name. you all have influenced my life, lighted my passion for music.

for guidance, thanks to all my teachers. i know i am a brat. i still am. ms wong, thanks a lot for trusting me, ms how for guidance and passion, ms tey, ms rachel lee, ms madeline yeo (now mrs maas:)), mdm fang yuan, my piano teacher. thank you for making me the person i am today.

thanks for my best friends in life. sharleen, i owe you a lot for teaching me about life and love. thanks. for everyone.

dad mum, sis and bro. i love you.

to everyone...

carpe diem

lip

ranting

3 comments:

Jesse said...

Hi lip, read your blog and comments and stuff.

It's definitely good (or is it?) to think about things the way you do.

Anyway, I don't think it's being gep which causes you to overanalyse things. There are plenty of pple in gep who think differently, some people do so irrationally and are deemed eccentric, others are hyperrational. I think the issue is that you're theoretically more intelligent than the average person (which may or may not lead you to analyse things more). The issue is with "gep" as a label. Success or failure, I think it's a crying shame that people are labelled with a term from a system which they played no part in creating, and trust me, it does carry a negative connotation. Elitist, ill-bred, perhaps it's not good to put so many "gifted" people together who will just grow up to be autistic social spastics.

It seems almost ridiculous that we were given this "choice" as early as p4, p6. anyhow, we don't wear a sign on our heads anymore. understanding the rationale behind the system, one can see the benefits it has given myself. I do not know if I would have fared better in another system but lets leave these names for the systems and not for the products of them because we're normal people like everyone else (or are we?)

Jesse said...

by the way, i hate to rant, i orignally also wanted to thank you for always trying to make everyone feel optimistic.

we're not natural personality matches, and i can be rather abrasive at times. i've always believed though, that people find their way together not because they naturally gravitate towards people they like or appreciate, but through quirks of fate.

lip said...

i have wayyy too many friends starting with the letter J:)

anyway thanks bro.

i've seen death. i am not afraid, for when it comes, i have lived life fully and deservedly.

have you?

life. it's wortht eh living