Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Liberalism

Liberalism


1. The state or quality of being liberal.
2.

a. A political theory founded on the natural goodness of humans and the autonomy of the individual and favoring civil and political liberties, government by law with the consent of the governed, and protection from arbitrary authority.
b. often Liberalism The tenets or policies of a Liberal party.

3. An economic theory in favor of laissez-faire, the free market, and the gold standard.

4. Liberalism
a. A 19th-century Protestant movement that favored free intellectual inquiry, stressed the ethical and humanitarian content of Christianity, and de-emphasized dogmatic theology.
b. A 19th-century Roman Catholic movement that favored political democracy and ecclesiastical reform but was theologically orthodox.


from dictionary.com

Let's talk a little bit about liberalism.

I like to think that I am a liberal person. By that, I mean that I do not condone pre-martial sex (PMS), or murder, or moral obscenities like prostituition etc. etc. but I leave you up to your own devices over what you believe in.

Then again, a lot of people don't think PMS or prostituition or drugs or smoking is bad. Or against morals.

So where does morals come from? If I was to argue for a divine being, morality would be black and white, with shades of grey where the masses stand against the Catholic Church. Atheists would argue that morality is just a play between what was right for human evolution, that those actions condoned my the masses would be voted "right" over history, and those actions that are socially unacceptable AT THE POINT IN TIME would be considered weaker and be selected against.

Then again, I have said I am a liberal, but I believe in a Creator (perhaps not Jesus Christ, yet). Would me being a liberal go against my firm beliefs that morality is God-Given?

Sometimes, you know that an action, say, forcing a child to have sex with his father, is an act against nature. Then again, while scouring the Earth as an anthropologist, you find a tribe that practises blatant incest as a sort of ritual. And they accept it.

1. Would God accept it?
2. Would You accept it?

I answer no to question 1, but yet, I answer yes to question 2. I say that because that is that society's choice as it is; I may not fully agree with the morality of it, and come up with various genetic inbreeding SCIENTIFIC reasons to argue against it, but I would accept it, with a curdle in the stomach and distaste in my mouth.

So why do I blog this today?

Mainly it is because I find that I am becoming less and less of what I used to be. Perhaps that innocence of youth is lost (actually, it has never been). But then again, while I may enjoy looking at girls stripping and dancing on the frat party, and ogle at the "interesting" sight of two girls kissing, I would not rape a drunk girl who lay stark naked before me. Not even when I was drunk.

For my morals are my own, and I may frown at you if you rape a girl, but if you are my friend, I will forgive you, if the law may not. I do not need to approve, but I need to give support. As a friend.

And not even when drunk did I do something stupid in my life. I am proud of living the way I have since.

Are you?


lip
ranting

No comments: