Friday, January 13, 2006

S papers and Education System

I was just going to rant on the education system in Singapore, where the elite route is pretty much top 5 sec school/top 3 JC/S papers/Scholarship/Overseas University.

Sis has been down lately because of S papers. Well, it is important for a scholarship, but now, do you really want a scholarship? Being an IES scholar studying in Uchicago, I can weigh the pros and cons of a scholarship with some expertise.

Definitely, the best thing about a scholarship is the money and the job. People like me who do not have enough cash to study abroad aim for a scholarship, mainly to fulfil a dream and the "elite" path of studying at a elite overseas university. Nevermind it's not Harvard or Stanford; University of so-and-so is being branded as a "good undergraduate business school" or "the conversative school of economics" etc etc. As long as a Singaporean gets a scholarship, and the chance to study abroad, he is made.

Or is he? Along this path lies many cons as well. Namely, the decision we have to make at age 18 to decide our career path for the next 10 years or so. Or even our interests. Who are we to say that I like economics after just 2 years of exposure in a JC? Furthermore, the education system in JC is such that we aim not for the knowledge of a subject, as should be the joy of learning, but rather, the fundemental "10-year series" answers that would guarantee us success at the National Examinations.

Scholars are just paying for our education with our future earnings. I might love investment banking, the pay, the perks, the hectic and stressful high powered lifestyle, but I'm not given an opportunity to intern at an I-bank, simply because I have other summer commitments to a contract I signed. Sometimes, I envy my friends who have not a scholarship, but came on their own accord (because they are rich enough) and have the freedom to explore their interests. But then , the grass is always greener right?

Ultimately, it is not about the money, or about the studying, or about society's viewpoints of whether you made it or not. The busker who is performing at the MRT station garners as much respect from me as the investment banker who enjoys his job, mainly because he does it with a passion. I love music. I would love to work in theatre, compositions, performing, teaching. But I do that on the side. And having a passion for something that you do is important, because if you cannot live up to societal standards, you need to live up to you own standards of excellence which YOU set.

Carpe diem Sis.

from your brother,
ranting

1 comment:

rosebordeaux said...

maybe it's my flawed interpretation, but are u implyin that personal standards of excellence can only be an after-thought, that it takes second place next to societal standards? isnt it the other way round?
btw, i think this entry of yours is a really thoughtful gesture towards your sister. =)