Monday, November 14, 2005

Winter

"Hell does freeze over" -or so they say about Uchicago.

The interesting things about the U of C are that we value academics much more than our social lives (woe betide), we do not have grade inflation, and we constantly have this nerdy culture that we are proud of.

Slogans like "Where the Fun Comes to Die" and "Where the only thing that goes down on you is your GPA" are really funny. In a nerdy type of way. And the funny thing is, we are all proud of it.

And look at all the interesting things we have over here. Polar Bear Run, in the dead of the midwest winter. For those who have lived their whole life in tropical Singapore, Winters in the Midwest are Hell. It can get to negative 20. Farenheit. With Windchill of course. (that's approx -40 celcius). Reason? Continentality. Illinois is right beside Lake Michigan, rather Inland, and thus, there is greater variablity in temperature throughout the year: Hot summers and Cold winters. Whee... Btw, the Polar Bear Run is where runners go stark naked in the middle of winter and run through the campus. Crazy.

And check out scavenger hunt at http://scavhunt1.uchicago.edu/oldsites/2001/. In 1999, 2 students built a working Nuclear Reactor for Scavhunt, the most anticipated event in Uchicago. It's superb fun. Check out the nuclear reactor news here.

In other news, I need a car. I shall put my pleading on my blog:). And discuss the reasons with parents in Dec.

1. Go Chinatown! I am sick of Barlett Food. I am sick of taking bus down to Chinatown in Winter and suffering the cold. I am sick of spending $20 on cab fares to buy stuff from Ikea and Target. Thus, I need a mode of transport.

2. Cars are cheap here. You can get a 2nd hand car (good quality) for around $5k USD. That's around the price of 1/10th of a grand piano. Yay. And it's safer too. Because Hyde Park has 2 crazy gangsters who are robbing people at gun point and I tend to stay outside of my dorm for extended periods of time:).

Okay. I shall not bitch in public. Haha. Mum, Dad, take care! Sis too! And bro, spend less time on the computer. If you're reading this. haha. I wanna go Zouk! I wanna go MOS! I wanna eat Roti Prata and Chicken Rice and Char Kway Tiao. Damn.


lip
ranting

No comments: