Wednesday, May 11, 2005

I am disturbed.. a question about morality

Does being my friend make you elevated in my judgement of a person's morality?

How do you judge morality? Is it a Godly virtue, determined by a divine power, as many believers tend to conlude?

Or is it a miasma of age old virtues and values deemed best for the survival of the human race, an evolution of thought separate from the divine?

Is morality a human issue or is it a divine issue? and does being my friend make you exempt from my principles and my view of your morality?

All these questions started with a riddle that occured when i came back involving a friend of mine. I am a person who values personality, who values virtue and believes greatly in personal discipline and your own values guiding your way in life.

This friend of mine has been short of these high targets of mine for very long. In fact, i must say that some of my friends have fallen short of targets i would judge others on, some by very far margins. Yet in being my friends, they have my trust that one day, they will repent and realise their folly. Not in a christian, buddhist or muslim sense, but in the essence of being human.

Critics who say i have no moral highground take note, I am saying this on my own personal judgement. I don't need your biase criticism. Of course, if you have constructive thoughts, please feel free to comment, but refrain from personal attacks.

I believe in the liberty of Man. Of being able to fight for your own freedom and to fight for what is right in the world. That right is determined of course, by this unknown value of conscience. The conscience that some possess in great degree, and in others, seem sorely lacking.

This is for my friend who seems to lack conscience.

Alcohol is good. It acts as a buffer for your own follies, for your own indiscretions. I say it's BULLSHIT.

Alcohol is a cover for your own underlying beliefs and principles.

If you believe in your own morals, in abstainance, in giving others the right for freedom and the respect of a human being, under the influence of alcohol, your mind is strong enough to resist all thoughts and stick close to your own principles.

I know, because I have been there. When I'm high, i tend to speak my mind, but i know i will never do anything to break my own morals and my own principles. If not, i would already have numerous chances to do so.

To you, alcohol is not an excuse. Life is not better when you are drunk.

It's sad really. To offer friends the chance of redemption. It sounds very grave, but in reality, if they were friends of mine, they would treasure friendship. I treasure my friends. I would never forget one who helped me, who has stood by me, who has given me advice and stuck by me through thick and thin.

But i give friends more chances than i give enemies or strangers. I am quick to judge enemies and strangers, one chance and your character is judged by me. To friends, i tend to believe in chances. To give many chances, to sway to my own way of thinking, to offer advice, and if all fails, to agree to disagree on certain issues on character, morality and personality.

But you are still my friend.

I am unclear on facts, but time has presented me with clues and indications to certain personalities i cannot live with. or live without. Am i a sounding board? a comfort in times when nobody understands and everyone condemns? for i am quick to forgive and give chances again and again.

or am i ruthless and unforgiving? bringing up clues and past events to destroy relationships and play politics with those i dislike?

i am what i am.

i am an enigma. but my morality holds strong. i believe in that. give me one instance where i have not done right, and i will admit my mistake.

i must say i believe i have done right in my life.

so please, free yourself from torment that you give yourself, and start living a life that is right in your eyes, in others eyes and if you believe in God, in the eyes of God, be it Allah, Yahweh or Jesus.

Be true to yourself.
lip
ranting

No comments: