Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Singapore to Host F1?






Interesting, Singapore has thrown its bid into the hat to host F1 races. Now, that would be an interesting piece of excitement for a city-state (Stadt-Staat) that has known little excitement since.. oh, I was born. For the for article from the BBC, look here

What could a potential street race through the streets of Singapore look like? What routes to take? What exciting turns and hair pins can we incorporate into the race? Well, me and my buddies have actually discussed this before, at Alex's place. So, maybe just a little discussion on the route.

1) Well, the highlight is the long straight necessary in any F1 race. This is best fulfiled by none other than Benjamin Sheares bridge. The scenery would also be amazing. The thing is car crashed would be over the top and into the water (literally) and it would be stunning. I would actually like the exit to be at Rochor, but the tight turns at the bottom of the slope (which I find dangerous to take at 80 kmh) would contribute to a pretty exciting lap. Furthermore, it's not exactly conducive to overtaking. A better exit would be Keppel?/Prince Edward? But this would restrict the overtaking. However, the race could continue onto Shenton way, which would be good to put Singapore on the World map.

Perhaps the esplanade can feature as the grandstand of sorts. And the route back to the ECP would be the Ford Road exit. That would make a nice circutous route, and hairpins can be added slong Shenton way. That's one idea.

2) Perhaps we can hold it along Upper Thompson, up to Seletar, and utilise the various small roads along the nature trail beside the air bases. That would an interesting drive for the drivers, but then, we won't promote our city much.

I live in the East, so naturally, my train of thought floats naturally to the routes I travel. I would love to be able to take that Sheares bridge turn at 280 mph, even though I know that certain death, and perhaps a watery grave awaits me if I fail. Morbid thoughts, but cool.


lip
ranting

No comments: